Welcome to our third edition of FUNDED, a snapshot of the latest funding news on the Australian Startup and Tech scene. In preparing FUNDED we pick up the news from other news channels as part of our routine data collection activities that have seen Techboard compile the most complete collection of funding events for Australia's startups and young technology companies. This list below is based on our preliminary screen of the month's funding events. Once we have produced this list we do capture additional funding events that makes it into our monthly data release. We also then classify the funding events, create profiles for new companies and new investors before importing them into the Techboard Platform. While the list below is lengthy it is far from the complete list of what we capture. For access to our full data capture, sorted, catalogued and full searchable, inquire about a data subscription.
In this edition of FUNDED we are covering September 2021 and bringing you the latest news on companies that have secured funding, news on the latest funds and also stories about who is seeking funding.
Just from our preliminary screen of September data the month is a rule breaker. So far we have captured 67 funding events (many months are over 100) but from that we have 44 Private/VC raises totalling over $1.5b including six deals of $100m or more. That is more than double the VC investment in August and 36% jump from the largest month on record... July 2021 which saw $1.1b from 54 investments and brings the total VC/Private investment to over $3.3b. This represents a 77% increase over the June Q 21, the largest to date and 79% of the total raised in FY2021 in just one quarter.
If you know of stories you think we should include please let us know. Funding events can be reported to us and companies that have claimed their profile on Techboard can make announcements. Contact us at [email protected].
Who’s been FUNDED?
(This is just a sample of the deals we captured in September - Commercial Subscribers get the full list + full searchable access to all funding data captured by Techboard since 30 July 2017).
- Zip Co has secured $650m for its funding facility.
- Scalapay is almost a Unicorn with a $210m raise.
- Mable receives a $100m investment from US PE General Atlantic.
- Canva is now worth $55b after raising another $200m.
- Airwallex doubles its valuation in six months to $5.5b after successfully raising $275m.
- Till Payments closes a $110m Series C raise.
- Software company Willow closes a $58.25m Series B raise.
- Immutable closes an $82 million Series B raise for its goal to become the global back-end for NFT trades.
- Five V Capital invests $80m into Automic Group.
- Li-S Energy reaches unicorn status after successful IPO.
- AVet Health closes an oversubscribed $5m Pre-IPO raise.
- A second Pre-IPO raise for Superhero; this time for $15m.
- Radiopharm completes a $20m Pre-IPO and looks to list in November.
Check out more upcoming Pre-IPOs below.
- Gameface.AI acquired by US sports brand Slinger for $32.3m.
- Dubber acquires Notiv for $6.6m to ramp up its AI capabilities.
- Microsoft buys Queensland startup Clipchamp.
- Flippa completes a $15m funding round.
- Hood closes a $16m raise.
- Refundid raises $3m.
- AirBolt raises $2m and makes $1.4m worth of pre-sale orders.
- All G Foods closes one of Australia’s largest Seed rounds with a $16m raise.
- SafetyCulture leads AI start-up Unleash live’s $8m raise.
- Azupay receives a $10m investment from Ellerston Capital.
- Remote Social closes a $1m Seed raise.
- Verrency closes a $6.5m Series A raise.
- Successful Aussie entrepreneurs invest in Shouta’s $1m Seed raise.
- Female founded Verve Super raises $2.6m from female investors.
- Functionality closes a $3.6m Seed raise.
Our paid subscribers get access to the full list.
Other funding events for our paid subscribers:
News from Funders
- Whiteoak is on track to raise $100m.
- The new kid on the block Pitch Venture Capital has a $2m fund.
- There’s a new $1m investment partnership between MH Carnegie & Co and Blockchain Early Opportunities Fund.
- Skalata Ventures is raising up to $50m for a second fund.
- Fundsquire has an extra $75m to invest in tech ventures.
- Federation Asset Management has a second fund on the way.
- Black Nova will have $20m to invest by the end of the year.
- Afterpay-backed Touch Ventures floats on the ASX and shares rise.
- Glow Capital Partners, a new investment firm chasing high-growth e-commerce and consumer businesses is ready to invest.
- Investible launches a $100m climate tech fund.
Who’s Looking for Funding?
- Order Up! is for sale, at the right price.
- Commodities marketplace Xpansiv increases Pre-IPO raise to $US100m after strong investor demand.
- Big step for IPO hopeful Step One.
- Shebah, the female ridesharing startup is for sale.
- #Stratapp is seeking a $2.71m raise.
- HaemaLogiX is seeking a $10m Post-listing raise.
- VBreathe is seeking a $10m Pre-IPO raise.
- Fupay is close to completing an $8m Series B raise.
- A $10m Post-listing raise is on the cards for IntelliHR.
- TechLend is looking for another loan and to raise capital.
- Remitter is seeking a $13.5m Pre-IPO raise.
- RLF Agtech is seeking a $3m Pre-IPO raise.
- TOMORROW Super is seeking a $5m Pre-IPO raise.
- Judo Bank is looking to list with a $2b to $3b valuation.
- DC Two is seeking a $2.5m Post-listing raise.
- Gut health medtech Atmo Biosciences closes a $9.6m Pre-IPO raise.
- Tesserent is seeking a $20m Post-listing raise for acquisitions.
- Regenerative medicine company Tissue Repair is seeking a $22m IPO.
- Techboard publishes two funding reports: The Female Founder Funding Report FY2018-FY2021 and the Annual Funding Report FY2021
- A $40m grant makes Australia’s first biotech incubator a reality.
- The Victorian government is investing $4m to become the sports tech hub in Australia.
- Meet Australia’s newest neobank - Avenue Bank.
- ANDHealth opens applications for its flagship ANDHealth+ program.
- AirTrunk converts its $2.1b loan into a sustainability linked loan.
- Techboard’s Angel of the Year award goes to Susan Oliver.
- Survivon Ltd is the child of a merger between Xefco and PPK to produce revolutionary face masks with the ability to kill the Covid-19 virus within minutes.
- Markr accepted into UK based 5G accelerator.
- 10 finalists for Microsoft’s $200k Pitch Perfect competition are announced.